Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Loss! Despair! Oblivion! And Yet...

I got my exam back. 24/30. Oof! I took my seat feeling like I had been punched in the gut.

A few minutes to recover, and then I started looking for what I had gotten wrong.
  • Section I: 8/8. Good.
  • Section II: 11/11. Great.
  • Section III: 5/11. WTF?
The hour dragged on as I waited for Dr. Hickenbottom to get to the answers for Section III. I had chosen the latter of the two problems, so there was only a couple of minutes left in the class before he got to mine.
  • Part A: Check. 2/2
  • Part B: Yep, that's what I got. But no credit! Not even a 0 or a slash to indicate I had gotten it wrong. Hmm.
  • Part C: Right again. 1/3. Huh?
  • Part D: Correct. 2/2
So here's what I think happened: the grader didn't even see my answer to Part B and overlooked the part of my answer to Part C that I wrote on the back of the page. So I'm 90% sure I scored at least 28/30, with which I'd be satisfied since it was the highest grade reported, and 80% sure I scored 30/30, with which I'd be quite pleased.

Unfortunately we have Friday off and since Dr. Hickenbottom won't be back in his office until Monday I won't be able to turn in a regrade form until then. When I eventually get it back I'll let you know how it went.

Update: I was awarded all of the points I disputed, so I scored 30/30. More here.

No comments: